MADISON, WIS. – The International Cheese and Dairy Awards repeatedly honored cheeses produced in Wisconsin during the 2022 ICDA event in the United Kingdom.
Carr Valley Cheese’s Gran Canaria received The Reefer 90s Award – Best USA Cheese. Master cheesemaker Sid Cook crafted the sheep, goat and cow milk cheese for the La Valle, Wis., cheese plant.
In total, more than 20 Wisconsin cheeses picked up various distinctions from the ICDA, a competition that receives 5,500-plus entries every year.
"We are so proud of the cheesemakers, dairy manufacturers and producers that exemplify tradition, innovation and a commitment to excellence," said Suzanne Fanning, chief marketing officer for Wisconsin Cheese and senior vice president of Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin. "Cheesemaking isn't just something we do in Wisconsin – it's who we are. In fact, we've been making cheese here even longer than we've been a state. It's incredible to see our cheesemakers honored on a global level.”
A number of cheeses made in Wisconsin picked up gold medals for being the best in a specific class, including:
• Sartori Cheese Tennessee Whiskey BellaVitano – Best cheese with alcohol
• The Artisan Cheese Exchange’s The Fawn – Best USA cheddar
• The Artisan Cheese Exchange’s The Indigo Bunting – Best USA blue
• Carr Valley Cheese’s Blue Spruce Blue – Best new dairy product
• Carr Valley Cheese’s Glacier Smoked Blue – Best naturally smoked semi-soft
• Carr Valley Cheese’s Wildfire Blue – Best USA cheese with additives
Sartori Cheese’s master cheesemaker, Erin Radtke, said the specialty cheese company had been excited about its Tennessee Whiskey flavor for some time.
"The team has worked very hard since our first batch to develop a product worthy of an award like this,” Radtke said. “It's rewarding to see that hard work pay off."
A complete list of class honorees and trophy winners can be found online at the ICDA’s website.