PLYMOUTH, WIS. — Italian cheese specialist Sargento Foods Inc. announced the launch of Sargento Real Impact, a corporate social responsibility platform that encompasses the company’s ongoing philanthropic and sustainability efforts.
With a vision to be the “most innovative, best-loved real food company,” Sargento shared that it will use the platform to communicate its continued commitment to sustainability, as well as community-based initiatives across three key pillars: hunger, housing and education.
“Sargento Real Impact represents a new chapter in our [corporate social responsibility] efforts while building on my grandfather’s longstanding commitment to give back and use resources responsibly,” said Louie Gentine, third-generation chief executive officer at Sargento. “’Real impact’ means committing – not just to our community through hunger, housing and educational initiatives, but also to our planet through sustainability practices.”
The company noted some of its most recent social responsibility actions:
• 2022 marked the 30th anniversary of Sargento’s partnership with Habitat for Humanity, and Sargento built its 35th home through the program. The company also helped 28 Sargento Habitat for Humanity homeowners by either paying their property taxes or mortgage for a year.
• Sargento introduced 10 Days of Giving, a United Way campaign, matching employees’ individual contributions dollar-for-dollar and awarding prize packages. The campaign raised more than $1 million for youth education and community access to economic opportunity.
• Sargento’s non-profit donations amounted to more than 607,000 pounds of cheese, supporting community fundraisers, stocking food bank shelves, aiding first responders and helping schools raise money to enhance students’ educational experiences.
• Sargento saved 85 million gallons of water and diverted 86.7% of waste from landfills in 2022, following its promise to use more energy-efficient and water-efficient operations.
• 100% of Sargento’s Balanced Breaks trays (excluding overwrap) are now recycle-ready and on track to be recyclable by the end of2024. “Recycle-ready” illustrates Sargento’s proactive approach toward developing sustainable packaging despite nationwide infrastructure limitations. Additionally, 100% of string and snack cheese overwrap will be in-store drop off recyclable by 2024.
• Sargento earned the British Retail Consortium’s (BRC) highest rating of AA+, which certifies the company’s commitment to implementing and improving food safety processes.